Friday 3 August 2007

Split > Dobra Dan

"Dobra Dan" means "hello" in Croatian but, I have just learned after two weeks of saying this to everyone, only to women. I should have been saying "Dobro Dan" to the men. Oops! This is the first time I have been in a country and really not spoken any of the language. Luckily, many people speak "Englesky" but I wish I knew more Croatian. There are lots of Zs in the language. The keyboard I am on right now has a Z where the Y usuallz is, so I am having a hard time tzping this! I also cannot find the apostrophe, so I feel like I am writing verz formallz.

Anzhow, we made it to Split!!
Nelson charted us a good course, and we all took turns steering the boat. Ger did a great job keeping the kids entertained with music when they got bored of it. We practiced playing "Man Overboard" until we got really good at turning the boat on a dime and fishing floatie toys out of the water as a team. Then we learned to drop anchor, had lunch at a nearby island and had fun swimming. It is really cool to see underneath the boat through mask and snorkel after having spent so much time underneath it on land. Celia and Dylan brought us into the harbour at Split as the sun was setting, and here we are. We spent one night anchored just off the old city, and tonight we are in the marina, since dark clouds and wind are approaching. I am (fingers crossed) not feeling sick at all which, as many of you know, was one of my biggest fears. Actually I am the only one on the boat that has not felt seasick so far!













Nighttime in Split. The old city was built over a thousand years ago.














1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lynda,

Nelson's friend Robin here. Congrats on getting engaged. I've been to Split a few times on R&R from Bosnia. Will you two be getting drunken tattoos there as well? Love that coast for it's beauty and for the climbing.

Keep up the great writting and have fun,

Robin