Friday 5 October 2007

Woman Overboard!! Goodbye Selkie and crew

Well, it was a really hard decision to make, but I´ve jumped ship. We´d been in the boatyard in France for more than two weeks and it was looking like we´d be there for at least a few more. It was also becoming more and more unlikely that Selkie would arrive in South America by mid-December, when I am meeting Nelson there. I´m very sad to have to give up the dream of my sailing adventure but the reality is that life on Waterworld did not include a lot of sailing. Graeme also left, as he had come to sail, not to be a boat labourer. He shared a lot of sailing wisdom with me, and for that I am very grateful.

The mast being lifted off of Selkie to get the rigging replaced. Watching this happen, I knew we were going to be there for a long time...
The view from the top of the mast (without having to climb up it again!).


Perhaps because I saw more of the inside of a boatyard than anything else, I didn´t love France. What I did see of the Cote D'Azur, however, was very beautiful.

Ger, Nuria and I also managed to get away for a nice hike one day in the local mountains.


Nuria wants to climb everything now!!


There was lots of merry-go-rounds around, so the kids were happy.
Nuria and I´s birthdays are only a day apart and we were sad that we wouldn´t get to spend them together, so we had a little pre-party. Celia and Dylan were away in the UK, so weren´t able to celebrate with us.
Nuria explained to me that it wasn´t a party unless there was dancing, so we dressed up, found a restaurant with good music and shook our derriéres! I am going to miss Ger and Nuria immensely but I know I will see them again in Argentina.

So, what now?

I flew from Marseilles to Madrid, where I will spend a few days. Then I´m off to Morocco for two weeks before heading to Argentina to meet up with Chris(tina) for a bike trip. This will be the third time Chris has invited herself along on travels of mine and for that, I am very happy!!


No comments: