Wednesday 20 June 2007

Scotland: Pure Dead Brilliant

JUNE 11TH - 16TH
Had a wonderful visit with Steph, and got to see a bit of Edinburgh. Our first foray into the park in the middle of the city included a man in a kilt playing bagpipes, so my Toronto experience was just a little foreshadowing.
The view up Leith walk from John´s apartment. Steph and I rode up this with very loaded bikes, in rush hour, which felt like taking my life in my hands, especially when we hit a traffic circle. In Scotland, the lines on the sides of the road are yellow, the middle one is white, and cars can park facing either way on either side of the street so it felt to me like anyone´s guess which way the cars would go!!



My favourite name for a town.


We met up with Chris(tina) in Glasgow after a few days and took a ferry to the Isle of Arran and circumnavigated it by bike. It wasn´t very big, and is called ´Scotland in miniature´, so it seemed like a good way to see the country in three days.

Had one particularly Scottish day: Woke up beside a castle, ate Haggis and oatcakes for breakfast, toured a whiskey distillery and tasted the 10 year old single malt Scotch that won tons of awards this year, rode our bikes on the left side of the road, avoiding sheep, and endured crazy rain and wind. I thought I might miss the colder climates as I experience summer for a year, but Scotland definitely got that out of my system!

The local wildlife: a highland cow. We decided that he must go to the same hairdresser as Brock.
They´re not as big or ornery as they look.













I thought that learning languages would start when I got to Spain but, no, it began in Scotland. Thanks to John, I have come away with a few new words:

flat = apartment
biscuit = cookie (except, apparently, the big gooey ones that Steph´s mom sends are still cookies)
trousers = pants (turns out i was referring to my undies everytime I said ´pants´, and what was in them when I mentioned seeing a great fannypack)

No comments: